Friday, January 14, 2011

Letter From Red Bluff

Dear Family,
 
I wound up broke in Red Bluff on the Sacramento River in N. California.  The town welcomed me and I intend to stay. 
 
Red Bluff is the Victorian house capital of Northern California.  There are farms, orchards, cattle ranches, dairies, and a very large Walmart distribution center just north of town.
 
I am staying at the First Church of God in the basement with all the rest of the homeless, about 25 of them.  They have dinner every night with plenty of fruit, scones, bagels, and hot coffee for snacks or if you want to pack your own lunch for the next day.  There is a shower.  Various local churches host the homeless thru the end of April when it's cold and rainy.
 
The Salvation Army gives out food baskets and clothing vouchers.  There is a bus system.  It's 50 cents one way, but only the police give out free bus passes if it is an emergency.
 
Lunch is Monday thru Friday at Vineyard Christian Fellowship on Walnut Street.  They have seconds and hot coffee and milk.
 
The town is run like a military garrison but it's also a tourist destination with plenty of motels in town and on the river near I-5.  There's a lot of emphasis on church attendance with a church on every street corner.  I went to a Catholic mass and it was packed.  There are not very many minorities here, but they are visible.
 
I tried collecting cans for one day, but it seems dumpster diving is not approved of here, so that's out.  The locals recycle their cans that they collect and store at home.
 
I declined mental health services because I do not want to be stigmatized as a psycho from the Bay Area, or a whacked-out veteran.  This is not a very big city and it's conservative.  I'm not too sure how I'm going to work out my relationship with Social Security if I am not in the system here.  I guess I'm on my own on that one.  But there is a county mental health system and an office for the VA here.
 
Also, there is a Community center with free showers and free laundry services with priority given to mental health clients.  Then again, I'm not in the system here.
 
I am very grateful that I have a warm place to sleep and food to eat every day.  I don't want to take this for granted.  It's nice to have a city where I can make myself comfortable, and have something to do.  I'm meeting various people, but I'm not sure what the future holds.  My biggest concern is that someone as crazy as me without firmly established means will have difficulty being fully accepted into a smaller,  and strongly conservative community.
 
It's been surprisingly interesting so far, but come what may.
 
Sincerely,
 
Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment